Is It Worth Installing F9 Alpha?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Mar 9 13:29:58 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:
> greg wrote:
>> On Sat, 2008-03-08 at 20:56 -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:
>>> I downloaded the DVD iso of Fedora 9 Alpha some time ago. Is it still
>>> worth installing and then updating, or should I wait for a "beta"
>>> release...or will updating effectively give me the beta?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Bob Cochran
>>> Greenbelt, Maryland, USA
>>>
>> i'd wait for the beta if not the Release candidate .. its pretty close
>> to the finish of the Alpha anyway, an things will more than likely
>> change in the Beta, ..you can update to the beta once you install the
>> Alpha but its prefered to make a clean install, that way no traces of
>> Bugs from the alpha is left behind
>
> And there are quite a few of them.  I'd suggest waiting for Beta as
> well.  Your other choice would be to do a network install, which your
> Alpha disk could let you do, but I would not just install the packages
> from the Alpha disk.. do the network install or wait.

I'll add my opinion. f9a is barely useable for me, with will-known
problems. nobody needs more reports of the same problems.

If you want to track brokenware, await the next ISOs, install and track
rawhide. If you install now you may find your first update is well over
500 Mbytes. I'm trying to be conservative and non-controversial here, I
want to say it will be well over 500 Mbytes;-)