Backlog proposals, now and future - Special Bug Triage meeting, 2008-03-12 17:00UTC

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Fri Mar 14 13:24:48 UTC 2008

On 2008-03-11, 15:23 GMT, John Poelstra wrote:
> If someone cannot re-confirm the existence of a problem it is
> better to close the bug and move on.  In my experience if the
> problem occurs in a later version it will get reported again
> and if it is important enough it will get fixed.  I would agree
> this is not the most efficient or ideal scenario, but neither
> is trying to search and fix 20,000 open bugs... the result if
> we stay on our present course.

I totally agree with most of what you are saying, but as a bug
triager (who just clears up backlog of now only 979 Xorg+gecko
open bugs -- we were over 3,000 before) I would have to say that
there is a lot of bug triaging which could help. Of course we
should mercilessly close obsolete bugs, but there is a lot of
stuff we can do even with the current bugs IMHO.

For some reasons which are not important in the moment I browsed
yesterday through this list of all open bugs against
NetworkManager -- http://tinyurl.com/2h84g8 I don't want to pick
up on Dan, because I think he does great job as a developer, but
it seems to me (and I don't understand NetworkManager to be sure
about that), that he could use some good bug triaging for his
bugs.  There seems to be a zillion of duplicates and (which is
hard to tell without understanding the issues there) probably
many bugs should be moved somewhere else (namely, kernel
drivers). Of course, NM is a complicated program, but I don't
think it should have 242 bugs opened.

Just to warn against any easy solutions to our 20,000 opened
bugs.

Matěj