multiple 'comiz' entries in ~/.gnome2/session ... ?!

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 07:58:24 UTC 2008

Tom London wrote:
> Running rawhide.
>
>>From time to time I've noticed gnome login taking longer and longer,
> and localized this to my ~/.gnome2/session file having multiple
> (sometimes 2, sometime 3 or more) entries for compiz.
>
> This results in errors like the below appearing in ~/.xsession-errors
> (and login taking a long time!):
> compiz (core) - Error: Screen 0 on display ":0.0" already has a window
> manager; try using the --replace option to replace the current window
> manager.
> compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0
> compiz (core) - Error: Screen 0 on display ":0.0" already has a window
> manager; try using the --replace option to replace the current window
> manager.
> compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0
>
> I list the current session file below.
>
> I have no idea what is doing this. Any ideas? [Before logging out, I
> check session file and compiz is only the once. Next time I login its
> there 2 or 3 times.....]
>
> Second, does 'compiz' need to be in ~/.gnome2/session?
>
> thanks,
>    tom

Nobody else bit on this one yet so I'll toss my 2c in, though I only have
observations.  The entries in ~/.gnome2/session are needed for compiz to start,
because otherwise the basic metacity wm will be defaulted to if none is started.
  The --replace option is necessary to shutdown metacity and start compiz instead.

Only one entry needs to be in the file though.  The duplicates may be a bug in
how the session file is getting written, or maybe just some clutter that
happened over time.. dunno.  You should remove them all but one entry.  You
could remove them all and then add a new one using the gnome session ui tool.
It should be a restart entry so if it crashes you get your wm restarted.

I would guess that taking longer to start up could really be caused by starting
compiz over and over, each replacing the last due to --replace.