Tonight's rawhide REALLY wants to boot into level 5

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Mar 27 16:38:52 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 08:52:34AM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Excellent, Thank you.  I haven't been keeping up with the documentation
> > as much as someone running rawhide should do.
>
> Wouldn't have helped in this case; it's not been documented.
>
> I'll follow up on fedora-devel; this may change slightly before
> release.

What about a small patch for /etc/inittab? Something appearing right
above or below the default init line saying, NOTE, THIS NO LONGER
DETERMINES RUNLEVEL, blah blah.  As this comes into beta, I think
there's going to be frequent questions.

As a sidebar, after learning that, I did a bit of googling.  The Ubuntu
people were apparently slow about documenting it when they implemented
it as well--I got several hits along the lines of, I tried to edit
/etc/inittab but I don't see such a file.

(One was pretty funny--someone else more or less condescendingly
mentioned it's been replaced, the answer was something like, Sorry, when
the howto says edit /etc/inittab, I figured there would be such a file.)

At any rate, it does seem to boot more quickly though that could be my
imagination.  :)

I did note that sysconfig/init isn't documented, which increases my
gratitude for the quick and simple solution that I was given.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Okay, well, how long before you un-crypt it?
Willow: Hours. Days maybe. Anyone suggesting months would not
be accused of crazy talk.