kernel parm quiet

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Mar 31 01:58:10 UTC 2008

Antonio Olivares wrote:
> --- John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>>> These are not relevant to RHGB. If anything
>> happens before RHGB even
>>> starts, users would see it anyway.
>> The subject says "quiet."
>>
>> My test system's running Rawhide, and it was in the
>> final stages of
>> updating to my overnight refresh of my rawhide
>> mirror as I read your email.
>>
>> I added 'quiet rhgb' to the kernel parameters for
>> the latest 2.4.25
>
> Did you actually mean 2.6.25 ?

Yeah. This box is bleeding edge, and bleeding badly.

> 2.4.25 was in the past.  We are actually running a
>
> cut + pasted from Rawhide Report 20080329
> kernel-2.6.25-0.172.rc7.git4.fc9
> --------------------------------
> * Fri Mar 28 2008 Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com>
> - 2.6.25-rc7-git4
>

> BTW on one machine I have no rhgb quiet and I can see

That's how I run everything. It's easy to ignore messages one doesn't
want, but impossible to seem them when they're needed.

It's especially frustrating when the kernel panics and so has to be
rebooted.

It's especially especially frustration when the box is a name brand and
so lacks a reset button & so need to have its power cycled.

> all the messages when I am starting the machine and on
> the other I have it turned on and it does display the
> startup messages that I can see and right after udev
> and selinux messages, the rhgb kicks in and takes
> over.

I thought rhgb was really great when I first saw it. Since then I've
change my mind.

>> kernel (which I expect to fail), and I did get the
>> kernel messages, and
>> the expected boot failure (though the actual
>> messages were different
>> from what I expected. Probably a new mkinitrd caused
>> that).
>>

>> I then booted the last kernel that does work, a
>> 2.4.25 kernel, with
2.6.24

>> "quiet rhgb" and there are absolutely no messages,
>> and the system seems
>> to be locked up.

I didn't even get the penguins.

--