superuser console?

David Boles dgboles at
Thu May 1 23:33:06 UTC 2008

John Summerfield wrote:
> Alain PORTAL wrote:
>>> KDE (ie, we haven't done anything to affect this anyway).
>> OK.
>> And nobody complaint about that????
>> Every body is happy with that behaviour?
> I've been using KDE since 1.x or so. On f9 I use Gnome.
>> Nobody needs dayly a console with fully superuser permissions when he
>> works as a normal user?
> I set up and use sudo, so the lack of root console wouldn't affect me,
> even if I continued using KDE.
>> As an example, every time I need to know a status service, I need to
>> "/sbin/service" instead of "service"?
> Configure $PATH in .bashrc or .bash_profile
>> For me, this really a regression about a Linux Distribution can offer me.
>> Should I have to build my Linux from scratch to get an old behaviour?
> Be our guest:-)
> Might be easier to switch to Debian, Ubuntu or OpenSUSE. If you want to
> build your own, try gentoo.

I have always loved that threat. 'If you don't do what I want I will leave for
a different distro!!' I will no longer accept what you provide me for free!! I
will go elsewhere!! And accept what they provide for free!!'

When you think about it, really think about it, it rings kinda' like an empty
threat does it not?  ;-)