What runs "Setting up disk encryption?"

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu May 1 20:59:17 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 15:17:44 -0400,
  "Clyde E. Kunkel" <clydekunkel7734 at cox.net> wrote:
> How do I get all LVs to activate before activation of disk encryption?
>
> I am mounting an encrypted filesystem in fstab that resides on a VG
> different from my un-encrypted root filesystem.
>
> The root LV is initialized in the initrd, but the remaining are not
> initialized until after udev starts.  This apparently leads to an initial
> failure, based on the msgs I am seeing, for "Starting disk encryption"
> preceeds "Setting up Logical Volume Management".  After LVM is setup,
> "Starting Disk Encryption" is run again and I can enter the pass phrase and
> all is well.
>
> Tho the problem is currently self healing, it seems that something is out
> of sync.

I don't think that that is a problem. I run a machine with 4 encrypted
raid partitions and / and swap are done first and the other two are done by
udev.

My guess is that because you have some encrypted file systems that you get
the init script trying to get any keys needed early in the boot process,
even though in your particular case this step isn't needed.