GDM Greeter

Christopher L Tubbs II ctubbsii at emich.edu
Fri May 2 00:54:14 UTC 2008

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 18:35 -0500, John Morris wrote:
>
>> I'm not doing anything that crazy but I do want to be able to customize
>> the login box.  I twiddle the background.  I add things to the welcome
>> banner.  I MUST be able to get the frickin' faces and list of users out
>> and replace it with a normal username prompt.  (12K entries in /home
>> mounted via NFS.  You do the frickin' math on that.)  What I'm hearing
>> is that I'll be SOL and had better be evaluating other display managers.
>
> You have not actually tried it, have you ? Your 10000 network users are
> not going to show up in the user list, since we only populate the list
> with local users.

Doesn't matter where the users are, it matters where the home
directories are... if /home is automounted, the problem still exists.
I've seen setups like this, where the admin didn't want to deal with
security issues caused by NIS, so he just duplicated usernames as local
users on all systems and made the home directories automounted.

Imagine automounting via NFS each of 10k home directories just to read a
.face file from each. That's quite a load on the network. I'm sure GDM
isn't aware of the fact that the home directories aren't local, since
autofs does this transparently.

>> Now I'm not afraid to edit a config file, I actually prefer it, but it's
>> gone and XML is at best read only for humans.  It's a package deal guys,
>> if you go the XML route you MUST provide a tool to manipulate it.
>
> Not sure which xml file you are talking about. Last time I
> checked, /etc/gdm/custom.conf had the same format as always...

I think he's just pointing out that there IS a need to configure GDM,
and you should provide a human-readable config file for it, or otherwise
(if XML, especially) a utility to configure it.

Rainman