Menu entries in Gnome

Dejan Čabrilo dcabrilo at gmail.com
Wed May 7 17:55:08 UTC 2008

Hey all,

I've been testing Fedora 9 for a while now, and I came to notice a bit
silly organization of GNOME menu entries. Perhaps I should report this
as a sort of a bug?

1) Authorizations (polkit-gnome-authorization), Power Management
(gnome-power-preferences) and Software Updates (gpk-prefs) reside in
System/Preferences/System.
First of all, this is a problem because of two "System" menu names.
Also, I think it would make more sense to put them in
System/Administration.

2) Qt3 Config (qtconfig) and Qt4 Config (qtconfig-qt4) are both in
System/Preferences. They are the only entries, at least on my system,
that reside in the top of Preferences. It would make more sense to put
them in System/Preferences/Look and Feel

3) There are other weird things about menu entries that I see..
Namely, why do we have both Main menu/System tools, and
System/Administration, or why is Keyboard Shortcuts in Personal and
not Look and Feel. However, these should be addressed upstream to
GNOME, right?

Dejan