NTFS fstab issues

Christopher L Tubbs II ctubbsii at emich.edu
Thu May 8 14:31:28 UTC 2008

Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> On Wed, 07 May 2008 23:11:14 -0400  Christopher L Tubbs II wrote:
>  >/dev/sda2 /mnt/windows ntfs-3g defaults,users,noatime,sync,noauto 0 0
> As I understand fstab syntax, the word "defaults" inside option
> column makes sense only if it stands alone.

As I had stated, the same effect is seen regardless of the presence of
"defaults". However, as I understand it, subsequent options override
previous, so stating defaults first to set many options, then explicitly
overriding some of them is OK, although it may be unnecessary.

[snip]
> But the point for not being able to mount I think is that ntfs-3g binary
> is not suid....
>
> Gianluca

Thanks, I found the problem and the solution, based on your hint:
chmod o+rw /dev/sda2
chmod 4755 /sbin/mount.ntfs-3g

I was a bit surprised that I had to do the second step, though...
shouldn't /bin/mount (which has setuid bit) call /sbin/mount.ntfs-3g
with elevated privileges? Anybody know if that's a bug?

(reference http://www.ntfs-3g.org/support.html#unprivileged)

Rainman