USB cannot be read

Antonio M antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Sun May 11 20:47:32 UTC 2008

2008/5/11 Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at yahoo.com>:

>  --- Antonio M <antonio.montagnani at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > 2008/5/11 Antonio Olivares
>  > <olivares14031 at yahoo.com>:
>  > >
>  > >  --- Antonio M <antonio.montagnani at gmail.com>
>  > wrote:
>  > >
>  > >  > 2008/5/11 Antonio M
>  > <antonio.montagnani at gmail.com>:
>  > >  > > After some time I plugged my USB MP3 player
>  > and I
>  > >  > find that is seen as
>  > >  > >  read-only!!!!
>  > >  > >  What is the component to blame???
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > >  It was working fine....Fedora 9 fully
>  > updated!!!
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > >  Tnx
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > >  --
>  > >  > >  Antonio Montagnani
>  > >  > >  Skype : antoniomontag
>  > >  > >
>  > >  >
>  > >  > and this is my mtab file
>  > >  >
>  > >  > /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 / ext3 rw 0 0
>  > >  > proc /proc proc rw 0 0
>  > >  > sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
>  > >  > devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
>  > >  > /dev/sda1 /boot ext3 rw 0 0
>  > >  > tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
>  > >  > none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0
>  > 0
>  > >  > sunrpc /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs rpc_pipefs rw 0
>  > 0
>  > >  > fusectl /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw 0 0
>  > >  > /dev/sdb1 /media/disk vfat
>  > >  >
>  > ro,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=lower,uid=500
>  > >  > 0 0
>  > >  >
>  > >  >
>  > >  >
>  > >  > --
>  > >  > Antonio Montagnani
>  > >  > Skype : antoniomontag
>  > >  >
>  > >  > --
>  > >  > fedora-test-list mailing list
>  > >  > fedora-test-list at redhat.com
>  > >  > To unsubscribe:
>  > >  >
>  > >
>  >
>  https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-test-list
>  > >
>  > > >
>  > >
>  > >  /dev/sdb1 /media/disk vfat
>  > >
>  > ro,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=lower,uid=500
>  > 0
>  > >  0
>  > >
>  > >  There it is, change the ro (which is read-only)
>  > to rw
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >  /dev/sdb1 /media/disk vfat
>  > >
>  > rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=lower,uid=500
> [...]

Antonio

I didn't edit by hand mtab....but I carried out a test with a plain
USB stick (not a Mplayer) and mtab set it to rw.
I remember that sometime ago I had a similar problem, someone pointed
out a temporary solution before a final solution was set in Fedora.
I can't understand why I got back to exactly same problem- maybe that
progress is some step forward some steps backward...not sure about
that  :-)

I assume that is a bug in Fedora, but I don't know the component to
fil a bug against

Regards

--
Antonio Montagnani