ark and rar

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon May 12 21:24:01 UTC 2008

> On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 15:04 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > In F8 I used to use Ark (KDE utility) to unpack .rar files, but in F9 it
> > no longer works. Ark doesn't recognize .rar although I installed the
> > unrar package. Am I missing something?
>
> .rar (or at least the most popular and current version of rar) is
> proprietary technology and non-free.  It cannot be shipped in Fedora.

I repeat: I installed the unrar package (from Livna as it happens). Ark
used to work with .rar files on F8 and now it doesn't. I'm assuming that
Ark used the unrar package but of course maybe it used to have its own
internal implementation and this has now been withdrawn because of
licensing, I don't know.

The only thing I ever used Ark for was .rar as I can handle tar, tgz,
zip, gzip, bzip etc. on my own.

poc