F8 -> F9 preupgrade

Klaasjan Brand klaasjan at gmail.com
Wed May 14 12:28:39 UTC 2008

2008/5/14 Zoltan Boszormenyi <zboszor at freemail.hu>:

> Hi,
>
> I tried preupgrade without success, but at least it didn't destroy
> my old installation. :-)
>
> I started package downloads with preupgrade 0.9.3-1, then killed it
> when 0.9.3-2 came out, upgraded and continued downloading.
> Total download size was about 6.2 GB, I have many huge games
> installed from Fedora 8 Everything. However, this version hung
> at the last download phase, which was fixed by 0.9.3-3.

I think it has something to do with preupgrade looking for a ".treeinfo"
file, which wasn't available on my mirror. I've fixed it by pointing the
preupgrade configuration to a mirrorsite that had the treeinfo file.

> This version offered to reboot into upgrade finally, which I did.
> It booted into anaconda upgrade, which detected my partitions correctly.
> The problem that made the upgrade unsuccessful was that Anaconda
> doesn't pull the network settings from my old installation and I have
> an ADSL connection with a dump ADSL modem, not a router.

Does anaconda need an internet connection after preupgrade has downloaded
all the relevant files for your upgrade?

Another small bug I've found which could be handled better is that the
kernel from Fedora 9 swapped my sda and sdb disks (I've got a SATA and an
IDE disk in my system), and anaconda isn't able to find the stage2 image
(there's a prompt asking for the correct disk, but none of the options
work).

Kj