Fedora 9 updates-testing report

Leslie Satenstein lsatenstein at yahoo.com
Wed May 21 01:30:24 UTC 2008

Hi Rahul

Grammar checker and Grammar. Slightly on topic.

I know of a commercial grammar checker for the popular os's including Linux. It is used at our French Quebec Government departments.  It is called Antidote, and I think with a little encouragement ($$$) they could produce an open source version for use with other latin based languages. By latin based, I mean nouns that have genders, and adjectives that must agree in gender and with matching for plurals.  And then there are the verbs and adverbs....  A grammar checker is not an easy product to write or support. Finally, all languages have irregular verbs. sigh.. English has the most.

I will most certainly pursue the webcam leads you provided.

Regards

Leslie
PS. It would be nice if the English used here was more international.
For example, in French, I can sit on a chair, stand on the floor, but I cannot talk to you on Fedora.  Please use "about" for "on", and/or "concerning".
Also ending a sentence with "from" as "there are two versions to choose from."  I believe the better way for non American english iss to write  "there are two versions from which to chose."

You wrote, and I am going to do it.

Check out empathy, gyachi, amsn etc. Also gpsca webcam driver is getting
fixed and planned to be merged in the upstream kernel by one of the
Fedora developers. So there is progress made even though it might not be
shouted from the rooftop everyday.

Regards again

Leslie

Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote: Leslie Satenstein wrote:
s and the successes of
> new version launches.
> f) Become frustrated with lack of progress for multimedia (webcam)
> because I truly want to replace a non-linux software and need it to work
> well.

Check out empathy, gyachi, amsn etc. Also gpsca webcam driver is getting
fixed and planned to be merged in the upstream kernel by one of the
Fedora developers. So there is progress made even though it might not be
shouted off from the rooftop everyday.

> h)  Other enhancements are for packages that are not in Fedora, such as
> a  powerful grammar checker for word processing. I write in French and
> English and sometimes my French grammar is used in English, and the
> English when I am writing French.  Again, not everyone writes in two
> languages.

What's the software name? Are you willing to maintain it?

Rahul

To unsubscribe: