Fedora 9 updates-testing report

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Wed May 21 09:11:20 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 11:43:50PM -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> preposition. The fact is that that this happens all the time (as does
> the split infinitive: to boldly go) and the "rule" is an invention by
> early grammarians who were fixated on Latin, in which these things are
> impossible. English is different, and neither of the usages you mention
> are particular by any means to American English.

American and English are very different in many many ways. We have an en_gb
translation for good reasons.

One thing all translation work does is to find errors in the original language
and it is useful to file bugs against them and get them fixed. We shipped
several version of RH7-9, for example with "I have detected a sound card on
your system" - quite how and why it was useful to detect sound cards sat
on top of the computer remains a mystery ;)

For en_gb (I don't know about en_us) grammar does have some relevance. People
will judge a product or person on their language usage. Phrases such as
"the person to whom I refer" indicate very different things to "the man who
did it" or the often heard but guaranteed to make people think poorly
educated, layabout.. (insert stereotype to taste)  "the man what done it".
Hence en_gb would prefer phrasing like "The server to which I will connect",
which I suspect probably sounds quite *silly* in en_us, and is slowly dying
out here.

For en_gb we need to care. For Welsh it turns out to be even more important.