adding user during first boot

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Thu Nov 6 10:30:09 UTC 2008

Tom Horsley wrote:
> Now that I am being forbidden by "helpful" computer from
> logging in as root, I wish the create user screen you get
> during the first boot following install had an advanced
> button that would bring up the system-config-users app so
> I could create the user with a manually specified UID
> (since I'll be accessing lots of files created by that
> user on previous fedora versions, I like to keep the UID
> the same).
>
> Previously I could just skip the create user step and
> login as root to create the initial user.

File an [RFE] against first boot for an advanced tap
where you can specify user ID and Group ID path to /home and Login shell
manually.

Explain the problems with having the root account being disabled in GDM
As in you first have to create a user then log in as that user to run s-c-u.

I thought that there had been a discussion on having the root
account enabled and root "desktop" be tailored for rescue/administrative
tasks but apparently not...

File another RFE of removal of the "other" field in GDM since it servers
no purpose for the normal desktop user anymore.

If they are going to throw some idiotic logic at you that they need to
have the other field
for corporate deployments throw it back at them that the sysadmin
deploying those desktop should
possess the necessary knowledge to turn the other field on while
deploying the desktop via kickstart or some other means.

You can as always enter run level 3 run s-c-u and then just turn of
first boot.
( chkconfig firstboot off ) and reboot.

If you wish to enable root login via GDM simply remove "user !=root
quite" from /etc/pam.d/gdm file

JBG