Problem setting up wired networking

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 11 19:48:25 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 11 November 2008 19:36:19 Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 19:25 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Just realised - NM sees it as Auto eth1 - presumably the source of the
> > problem in my last message.  I'm guessing that this means I have two
> > network services running and fighting it out.  Maybe what I need now is
> > some authoritative advice on dealing with this.  Here's what I've tried
> > so far -
> >
> > Stopped network service.  Configured eth0 in NM applet - except that it
> > still says Auto eth1.
> >
> > Rebooted - ifconfig tells me that I have eth1, but it is still on a dhcp
> > address, not the static one I defined in the NM applet.
> >
> > Restarting network service says that eth0 is not present.  How do I get
> > it to use the NM settings?
> >
> > I see no sign of the wireless one at all now - it seems to have totally
> > disappeared.
>
> Look at /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file and see if
> nm_controlled=yes is there, and if it has your dns/search type info, if
> it gets dhcp or static, etc.. maybe post if need to.  That file sort of
> is main control between network device/the service/NM.

ifcfg-eth0

#Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E PCI Express Fast Ethernet Controller
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
DNS1=212.23.3.100	GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
HWADDR=00:00:00:00:00:00
IPADDR=192.168.0.93
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes
SEARCH="lydgate.lan"
NM_CONTROLLED=yes

(I have tried both yes and no on that last line)

Anne