XO: Xfce testing results

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 05:10:54 UTC 2008

So I just got my XO, and James Laska mentioned to me on IRC that we
were in need of a lead for the group working on Xfce. I'm willing to
take that role, and to that end, I composed a LiveCD using the
official Xfce LiveCD kickstart from today's rawhide.

After battling with the SD card (in a previous thread), Xfce boots and
runs acceptably on the XO.  I need to know what sorts of things other
testers are looking at, though.  Here's some initial observations:

Boots fine, however, text mode plymouth was all that I got (is this a
regression from preview??? I've heard reports that graphical plymouth
worked in preview)

On bootup and opening a Xfce terminal, 118-124MB of RAM taken (not
counting filesystem cache), no swap used.

Thunar works as expected.

Some fonts are cut off (particularly the time in the Xfce panel),
however, I understand that this is more of a general X problem than
anything Xfce specific, and there's a fix.  Will we be integrating
this into the other hacky fix that we have for xorg at this point?
(using an xorg.conf if we're on a Geode?  The fix for this is just
another setting in there)

Able to launch Firefox and browse the web.

I still need to distil all of this into a formal test plan and
results, and am interested in hearing what else I should test. I'm
truly amazed and very happy that Xfce Just Worked(TM) on the XO :)