Problem setting up wired networking

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 12 10:24:21 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 11 November 2008 22:47:53 Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 20:52 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Jesse, I don't care which route we go - NM is fine if we can persuade it
> > to work.
> >
> > All I want is a fixed address when on my home LAN - and I'll accept
> > reserved IP from my router's dhcp if that's easiest - and straight dhcp
> > for the wifi, since that will be used at various locations.
> >
> > Since trying to get the cabled connection working properly (and it's
> > working now, but not on my chosen IP address) I have lost the wifi
> > altogether, so if you can advise me how to start from scratch that would
> > probably be best.
>
> Well, I'd re-edit your ifcfg-eth* files and set them all back to
> NM_CONTROLLED=yes.

Done.

> Also, I'd question why you have an eth1 file, and
> perhaps remove it, if all you have is a wired and wireless.

There is no such file.  It's just that system-config-network referred to eth1
- which is one of the things I found confusing.  Also ifconfig refers to eth1
- although it is picking up the address.  However, since that address is set
both in NM and on the router's dhcp I don't know which is prevailing.

> Make sure
> the eth0 file still matches the right MAC address etc..

No MAC address is set.  Unless there's an advantage, I'll think about that
later.

> Then in NetworkManager you can right click the panel and edit
> connections.  There you should be able to define a configuration for
> System eth0 complete with static addressing.  This in theory should
> allow it to come up at boot time with this static address and be fine.
>

> As to why your wireless went away, that's a different matter.  Might be
> worth booting a Live image and seeing if it makes any difference by
> having fresh configurations in place.

That at least is solved - it seems I had accidentally moved a physical switch,
whose existence I had completely forgotten.

However, I can't connect to the wireless.  I believe I read of something
similar in one of the bug reports, though this morning I've failed to find the
right one.

First it offers me the chance to connect to hidden networks.  I give it the
ESSID, set it to WPA and give it the passphrase.  It whirs for a while, then a
dialogue box opens asking me to give a WEP key.  I'll continue searching for
the bug report and hope that it gives me a workaround

Anne