Problem setting up wired networking

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 12 20:00:28 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 12 November 2008 19:20:29 Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 07:10:05PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Today I found in dmesg that
> >
> > udev: renamed network interface eth0 to eth1.
> >
> > I didn't see anything that amounted to a reason for that.
>
> One possibility I can think of that something claims "eth0" name for
> an interface with a different MAC that you have and a rename is done
> to avoid a conflict.

Can't see how that could be.

> What that can be and how you got into that state I have no idea.
> See, for example, 'man ifrename' how this can be done.  You happen
> to have something in /etc/iftab?  Or maybe somewhere else?

I've never heard of /etc/iftab.  There's nothing strange about my setup, and
this laptop, sitting next to the one in question, is connected by wireless,
currently as 192.168.0.2 - so the right subnet addresses are being handed out.
It's a total mystery as to where it's getting the other address from.

Anne