NetworkManager connection to encrypted Wireless Network

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 13 01:57:05 UTC 2008

Dear fellow testers,

I have a machine with wireless card that NetworkManager identifies but cannot connect.  The Administrator at school tried to connect it, but gnome-keyring came out and asked for the password.  I put in my own root password, but the connection failed :(.  The network is encrypted and it has a key and he put the key, but gnome-keyring gets in the way and I am denied a connection.  What can I do to make this machine connect with wireless?

In the other case, when a wire is present it connects without problems.

http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_52cf9c16-aa07-4697-8df6-7b47eb9855f4 (public)

The machine has a wireless nic supported by Atheros ath5k driver
(Thanks to Mr. Linville and all other contributors to the project, the card is identified and it tries to connect)

The card is an
Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5005G 802.11abg NIC

I do not know the password to the gnome-keyring.  The network adminstrator can put the key in but that keyring pops up and destroys everything.  On windoze the machine picks up without problems.  I would like to have the same functionality on the Linux side if possible.

Thank you in advance for all your help/suggestions/advice.

Regards,

Antonio