Problem setting up wired networking

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Thu Nov 13 19:36:26 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 12:23:27PM -0700, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 09:51:03AM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> >
> > https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-November/msg00863.html
> > starts talking about NetworkManager about there.  A goodly amount
> > of FUD is thrown around and then Dan Williams answers a lot of
> > questions clearing the air.
>
> And what that FUD will be?  This detail that NM was fixed rather
> recently to handle static connections and not everybody is yet aware
> of this?  NM was screwing here a big time so I am not surprised that
> there is no big rush to try again.

Given the definition of "FUD" as "Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt", that's
what arises when there is little to no documentation.  BTW, NM was
fixed for F9 to support multiple simultaneous active connections and
static configurations.

> I looked through all this thread and it follows from it that NM,
> after a really long wait, slowly becomes a tool which has some
> chance to be usable beyond a basic "one user - one computer - one
> network connection (and maybe some wifi on the top)" situation
> although clearly it is still not there; but obviously much closer
> than it used to be.
>
> OTOH Dan Williams also says there: "I tend to think there will be a
> place for manual network configuration for a long time (no matter
> what jeremy says :), because there are some situations that are just
> too borderline to support in the short term, or are sufficiently
> borderline that the maintenance cost of adding the feature outweighs
> the benefit of the feature in the first place.  There's always a
> tradeoff to feature addition".  So, luckily, he is not such gung ho
> as Jesse. :-)

I think the biggest problem we have now is missing documentation.  If
only things would be documented as they were developed, rather than
long after or never.