Problem setting up wired networking

Steve Thompson smt at vgersoft.com
Fri Nov 14 00:04:49 UTC 2008

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Jesse Keating wrote:

> *shrug* it's about target audience.  Can you honestly tell me that the
> pre-network manager world was better for dealing with wireless networks,
> roaming from one location to another, typical laptop usage?

No, the pre-network manager world was not better for those systems. So for
those systems it is perhaps an advance. But that doesn't justify breaking
it for the other 90+% (or, in my case, 100%). I don't use Fedora for most
of my boxes (they are CentOS): what scares me is that this is going to
show up in Redhat/CentOS one of these days, and then I'm in a whole world
of hurt. If I'm starting the first hard-wired DHCP interface after boot on
a system that hasn't declared a hostname, NM *has* to be able to set the
hostname.

Steve