Problem setting up wired networking

Jerry Amundson jamundso at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 04:49:31 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 5:47 PM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> John Morris wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 14:46, Jesse Keating wrote:
>>
>>> If only people would volunteer to help with documenting the software,
>>> instead of demanding that documentation show up, instead of bugs being
>>> fixed.
>>
>> That really isn't fair.  It's a chicken and the egg problem in that the
>> only way someone outside could write documentation is if someone inside
>> gives them some rudimentary documentation first.
>
> That's not the case. I have written from scratch documentation for projects
> where none or almost nothing existed before. You just need to know the
> questions, users usually ask and then interact with the developers to try
> and answer them. Over a few revisions and reviews, you can get it right
> without having to know much if anything to get started.
>
> Admittedly, for something like NetworkManager, it would be a significant
> amount of time but if there is a real need, someone should step up and do
> it.

So, what you meant is that *is* the case.
There was a real need, and (some of) the documentation should have
been built in parallel with the development of the feature.

NetworkMangler is an example of how the Fedora user base was abused.
Throw the burden of the QA and documentation cycle out to the rest of
us in the name of open source an creative content.

For the time spent calling my co-worker 1000 miles away to run "ifup
eth0", and for the time it cost us figuring out that's just the way
Fedora 9 networking is, you're welcome.
jerry

--
There's plenty of youth in America - it's time we find the "fountain of smart".