Problem setting up wired networking

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 14 12:05:16 UTC 2008

On Thursday 13 November 2008 17:53:10 Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 15:09 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > It may come to that for me.  I've been fighting this for two days now,
> > and have given it a lot of time, so I may be asking your advice for
> > dropping back. I do have a working ifcfg-eth1 on this laptop (my wireless
> > connection) so I know what needs to be in the file.
>
> Anne, I would suggest booting a live image and attempting your config
> from there.  This will give you a fresh start at both the config files,
> and the gconf entries, so that your attempts aren't sullied by any
> previous tweakings.  Once you've either gotten it to work on the Live
> image, or still fail, you can either transfer that knowledge to your
> existing install, or be in a better position to file a bug that can be
> reproduced.

OK - I've got the livecd up.  This is not helped by the fact that it's a gnome
desktop, so I have to search for unfamiliar tools.  However, attempting to
connect with NM has brought some interesting info.

1. There is no list whatsoever of available wireless networks.

2. De-selecting the radio button for Auto eth0 (not eth1, mind!) results in a
whirring, then the same connection being restored.

3. Attempting to connect to "Hidden Wireless" results, as on my own system,
with a request for a WEP key, despite the fact that it has already been given
the WPA key.

4. As on my own system, when the WEP key is requested there is no option in
the drop-down list to change it to WPA.

IOW, exactly like on my own system, it plain doesn't work.

What now?

Anne