Problem setting up wired networking

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski D.Mierzejewski at icm.edu.pl
Fri Nov 14 15:23:39 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 02:26:14PM +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> On Friday 14 November 2008 00:10:19 Jesse Keating wrote:
>
> > For the cases where you need to do advanced configuration, and
> > NetworkManager can't handle it, you can turn it off and use the old
> > network service.  It's a lot easier for the class of folks that need
> > this to do it, than for the class of folks who need easy to use casual
> > networking to work easily for them to switch off 'network' and turn on
> > 'NetworkManager'.
>
> In my experience the network service does not, and never did,
> work properly (with WiFi).

It used to, and still does, work with plain WEP connections.
For wpa_supplicant-managed it needs to be patched, but still works just
fine.

> To start with, it was more or less incompatible with system-config-network.
>
> NM has its faults - many of them - but by comparison with the network service
> it is utopia.
>
> I would never advise anyone I like to use the network service.

I would never advise anyone I like to use NetworkManager.

Regards,
R.

--
Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <rathann*at*icm.edu.pl>  |  LAN  Staff
Interdisciplinary Centre for Mathematical and Computational Modelling