Problem setting up wired networking

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Nov 14 22:02:17 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 22:26 +0100, A.J. Werkman wrote:
> What do you mean by "this".
>
> Do you mean a question in anaconda to select  NM Yes or no. In that case
> I would say you have "the default choice" as a solution for people who
> do not know what they are doing. And please do not victimise the knowing
> by treating them as the unknowing.
>
> Or do you mean my question asking for an opinion about this matter. In
> that case be carefull not to call users dumb.

I meant the "Do you want to use NetworkManager or network?" question.

> > they did, they'd be informed enough to do the very very simple steps to
> > disable NetworkManager in favor of the legacy network service.  It takes
> > very few lines in a kickstart %post to do it.
>
> This is a non argument because in this respect you could strip a lot of
> code from anaconda because it can all be handled in the %post section.
> The plus of anaconda handling this is that users wil not have bother
> coding it themselfs. And I do not consider the choice between network
> and NM that extreem that it is justifiable to have users put it in %post.

If you haven't noticed, the trend over the last few releases has been to
move as much out of anaconda as possible.  It does ask a heck of a lot
less now, mostly just things necessary to complete the installation, not
a whole lot of questions about how the system should work after it has
been installed.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!