No PPD file for printer "printername" - no printer-uri found

flash no-reply-gw at fcp.surfsite.org
Sat Nov 15 12:35:10 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm having a problem getting one of my printers to distribute drivers automatically to windows machines that connect to the network.

I hav configured my print server box using this guide:

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netsysm/article.php/3621876 [1]

I have got to the point where windows machines are detecting the printer, but having to manually install the drivers for the device.  I have downloaded all the driver files stated in the above document, placed them in the '/usr/share/cups/drivers' area, changed all file names and annotated the config files with the relevant parameters. I have also changed the driver filenames to lower case but whne I tried to run the following command:

cuppsaddsmb -H localhost -U root -a -v

This command runs but produces an error at the end:

cuppsaddsmb: No PPD file for printer "printername" - no printer-uri found

I'm not sure where I have gone wrong with this.  I'm quite new to using Linux, but would very much appreciate any assistance or suggestions on my predicament.

Many thanks,

flash

Links:
------