Anne Wilson has network troubles on Aspire One

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 15 15:55:39 UTC 2008

On Saturday 15 November 2008 08:51:00 Mary Ellen Foster wrote:
> 2008/11/15 Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com>:
> > Different subject as the original thread is way too long and goes in
> > different directions. :-)
> >
> > On linux-kernel mailing list there are currently messages about bugs
> > in wifi support for Aspire One.  See http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/11/14/214
> > and the thread appears to start at http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/11/10/220
> > That looks like relevant.
> >
> > There are also references to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne
> > and possibly some useful information can be found there.
>
> FWIW, Fedora 10 has been working pretty well on my Aspire One since I
> installed it, at least once I'd done all updates. I've used
> NetworkManager to connect to wired, wireless (WPA and unsecured), and
> GSM (mobile broadband) networks fairly flawlessly ...
>
> Just another (useless) anecdote,

First thoughts - if we have both fully upgraded, there shouldn't be any
difference in our systems at this point, whether we started from the same
point or not - agreed?

I guess that it's possible that Acer have done the old trick of selling
identically named kit but with different chipsets.  Not sure how that could be
checked without opening the box, and I'm sure that neither of us want to at
the moment.

Anne