Skype under Fedora-10/KDE

Jim mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 15 17:36:30 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Is anyone successfully running Skype under Fedora-10 with KDE?
>
> When I run it (from f=>Applications=>Internet=>Skype)
> and try to make the Skype Test Call
> I get the error message
> "Problem with Audio Playback".
>
> I've tried killing pulseaudio, but I get the same error message.
>
> People have suggested that I modify the Skype settings,
> but I see nowhere to do that.
>
> When I run skype from the command line I get the same error message.
> But when I stop I read
> [tim at mary ~]$ skype
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2202:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.hdmi
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2202:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.hdmi
>
> ^C
>

> Any and all suggestions gratefully received.

It;s all in the settings, if Fedora would only  make all settings
"halfway" Default, it sure would stop a lot of heart aches .
I got Skype installed and working on a eeePC 701.
I yum installed  "gnome-volume-manager"  and run gnome-volume-control
and open all channels/preferences
and selected each.

On my Laptop eeePC I uninstall Pulseaudio and sound begin to work, then
I reinstalled Puseaudio and sound works, I had to find the MIC setting
and adjust.

I know that sounds screwy but it worked, why, I don't know.