F10 on Asus N10J netbook

David A. De Graaf dad at datix.us
Mon Nov 17 22:27:03 UTC 2008

I've finally achieved glorious loud sound on my Asus N10JA3 netbook
running Fedora 10 and XFCE - a struggle against enormous odds.

1)  Add to /etc/modprobe.conf this line
    options snd-hda-intel model=3stack-dig
There are other options that are valid for the hardware codec reported
in /proc/asound/card0/codec#* :
    Codec: Realtek ALC662 rev1
but this one seems to work.

2)  Deactivate pulseaudio by removing one package:
    rpm -e alsa-plugins-pulseaudio

3)  Prevent xfce from autostarting pulseaudio by unchecking that item
in the Settings Manager.

4)  Permissions that are automatically set for /dev/snd/* prevent
users from using the sound devices.  I have been unable to find the
"proper" way to undo this travesty, but a brute force solution works.
Edit /etc/rc.d/rc.local to add
    chmod 666 /dev/snd/*
    /usr/bin/aplay /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav

5)  Reboot to a console login, with init level 3.
Enjoy the gorgeous sound of startup3.wav when the system is ready for
login  (before *anyone* has logged in).

6)  Run alsamixer.  Observe many sliders for various functions.
Slide them up to a higher setting.  Exit alsamixer an run
    alsactl store
to save the settings.

7)  Run startxfce4 and observe that aplay now works there, too.

Pulseaudio is a travesty and abomination.  If I never hear of it again,
it'll be too soon.  Those who have inflicted these secret and ridiculous
permission restrictions that block use of the sound system should be
disbarred from the Project.  Obstacles to easy use cannot make Fedora
attractive to new users.

--
	David A. De Graaf    DATIX, Inc.    Hendersonville, NC
	dad at datix.us         www.datix.us