F10 on Asus N10J netbook

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Tue Nov 18 20:46:44 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 03:12:58PM -0500, David A. De Graaf wrote:

> 1)  Edit /etc/group, adding every user to group pulse-access, or at
> least every user that will be permitted to enjoy the sound system.
> Be sure to include root.
>     pulse-access:x:495:root,dad,srd

Why do you have include root?  It has that access anyway by a virtue
of beeing root.

I was adding users to a group pulse-rt but if you are starting
pulseaudio with '--system' then this will not make difference
accordingly to 'man pulseaudio'.

> 2)  To relax the restrictions that block users from using the sound
> system, create a new file, /etc/security/console.perms.d/80-sound.perms
>
>     # define the sound device class
>     <sound>=/dev/snd/*
>     # permissions
>     <console>  0666 <sound>    0666

I would probably made that into

      <console>  0664 <sound>    0664 root.pulse-access

in your case ....

> This allows the sound devices to be accessible to all users.

... to make that accessible for those you want this access to happen.

> 3)  Start a system-wide pulseaudio daemon by adding lines to
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local.  The daemon starts before anyone has logged in,
> and runs forever.
>
>     /usr/bin/pulseaudio -D --system --log-level=3 --log-target=syslog
>     /usr/bin/aplay /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav
>
> 4)  Prevent xfce from starting another redundant pulseaudio process.
> Edit /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc to comment out these lines:
>
>     ##  if test x"`which pulseaudio 2>/dev/null`" != x""; then
>     ##         pulseaudio -D &
>     ##  fi

I guess that I would be a bit more careful

      if ! pgrep -u $(whoami) -f pulseaudio >/dev/null ; then
        type -p pulseaudio >/dev/null && pulseaudio -D &
      fi

> If anyone can explain why this is not an appropriate default setup for
> Fedora, I would love to hear it.

See 'man pulseaudio' about pulse-rt and related things.  It may be a
good idea once you played startup3.wav to do 'pulseaudio -k' and
restart it again later in a different stance.

Yes, I know; something straight for newbies.

   Michal