F10 on Homebuilt Box - Absolutely Brutal...!!!!

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Nov 19 00:26:05 UTC 2008

Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> I decided to take the plunge and install F10 x86_64 preview on my main
> system at home. This was absolutely the WORST and MOST BRUTAL
> installation of Fedora I have ever experienced!!! What in wide world of
> sports is going on here??? I was up until midnight trying to get my
> system working again.
>
> Had I been a newbie, my impression on Fedora and Linux would have been
> that it truly sucks big time. Have I gotten anyone's attention yet...?
>
> ...Good. Here's what's wrong and (hopefully) what's needed to fix it.
>
> First here's a summary of my system config (output of lshal available):
>
> Motherboard:
> eVGA e7100/630i
> This MB uses nVidia onboard GeForce 7100 video with the nForce 630i
> chipset. It also uses nVidia MCP73 High Definition Audio
>
> CPU: Intel 2.4GHZ Core2 Quad
> 4GB RAM
> 320GB Western Digital SATA drive (WDC_WD3200AAKS)
> Monitor: Acer P243W (connected via DVI cable)
>
> OK - Here we go...
>
> Installation was a nightmare (as witnessed by a friend who also
> frequents this list). The main thing that was wrong was video. Simply
> put, it just doesn't work - and to the point that the Live CD is
> unusable and the Install DVD will only install in text mode. What I
> found (after a lot of troubleshooting) was that F10 in the default
> configuration just doesn't recognize the nVidia card correctly.

That's a good clue you shouldn't install it. The latest hardware is
generally problematic.

I have a brand-new HP SFF at work, I plan to install Debian on it. First
thing I did was boot a Knoppix DVD.

Everything works[1], so Debian's a goer (maybe not Debian Stable, but
Debian Something).

[1] Come to think of it, I don't think sound does. Sound doesn't matter
for this system.

If I was going to run Fedora or Ubuntu (actually, not silly) or openSUSE
  then I'd check it out with a corresponding live image.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait