Evolution and the Global Catalog Server - Debacle

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Thu Nov 20 16:44:49 UTC 2008

Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> ...Moving from Fedora List to Fedora Test List.
>
> I could really use a hand on this one:
>
> I'm running Evolution (on F10 PR/Rawhide) with the Exchange Connector,
> and have always had incredible problems browsing my employer's Exchange
> Global Address List. I picked up what I believe is the Global Catalog
> Server by using Outlook 2007 and going through all of the motions to
> find it there.
>
> When I plug in that server name from outside of my company network, I
> get squat.
>
> When I use the same configuration from _inside_ the company network, it
> seems to work fine.
>
> So, why can't Evolution see this from outside, but Outlook 2K7 can when
> configured using RPC over HTPPS? I won't even begin to ask why I need to
> know and enter the Global Catalog Server name in the first place since
> Outlook seems to be able to find this out on its own using pretty much
> the same way of connecting.
>
> Ideas? This couldn't be as simple as needing a different GC server or
> knowing that I need a specific TCP port open. It doesn't make sense that
> this works with one but not the other...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris

I recommend that you start by turning your firewall of while testing and
see if you can connect
to rule out any firewall issue.

Then start evolution in debug mode ( might need debug package for that )
evolution --debug or perhaps..

# export E2K_DEBUG=4
# pkill -9 evolution
# evolution --debug=evolution.log

Outlook might be connecting using the mapi protocol hence it works..
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAPI )

JBG

"Not an exchange nor evolution user.. Thunderbird  FTW )