pxeboot: good news and bad news

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sat Nov 22 06:13:03 UTC 2008

David Mack wrote:
> For the first time in more than a week I was able to do a successful
> PXE install of Rawhide. Hooray! After logging in and running startx
> (install set it to runlevel 3) it brought up a gnome desktop and it
> didn't freeze part way through the initial rendering. More hooray!
versions of kernel, x, driver etc..?
driver in use ?
does it match the hardware ?

> What can I put in the kickstart config file to tell F10 to start
> metacity instead of compiz?
just guessing:
- compiz
   {this would keep out compiz-fusion, compiz-fusion-gnome, compiz-gnome,
since they require compiz}.

> Also, X is a bit brain-damaged about possible screen resolutions.
Wonder if your display gives out edid info, and if it does, whether it
gives out correct info ?
monitor-edid  -> monitor-probe can show what the edid sesnse methods
detect, (i end up at vt1  press f7 to return to X) or look in
/var/log/X... log

> How do I tell it that my monitor can do 1280x1024 instead of being
> maxed at 1024x768?
system-config-display = System|Admin|Display
configure display, set size, logout/in

hth,

DaveT