F10 Beta Problems

Leslie Satenstein lsatenstein at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 24 13:22:13 UTC 2008

I have the following issues:

Annaconda
My monitor can go to 1600 by 200, Annaconda selects it. My eyes cannot go, even with glasses, to 1600x200,  Why not select 1024x768, so that one can watch the progress with crt monitor or with wide aspect ration flat Panel?
Before giving the go-ahead to start the installation, it would be nice to tell the user how many files will be installed and to allow a review. (The right click on details to choose all is dangerous (and not documented as a great feature) -- After right clicking my areas of interest, I ended up with 2700+ files, and many hours of downloads. All went well.)

Default Display Screen Size.
After DVD removal and reboot to create users, again resolution is painfully small.

System Time Update
I chose to use automatic time update, but Selinux blocks it. Actually, user network is not up until later in his logon. I am not certain what that means.

No Init_1
During boot, all displays take place on the initial display (I call it ctl-alt-F1).  I have not found the way to watch the log roll by, or to do a step by step startup. (I may require bypassing a module, and StepByStep is important)

Setting Screen Resolution (user Preferences)
I have a 21 inch monitor, but I want to use the first 4/3 aspect ratio above the 1024/768. Fedora switches to it ok, but I need a full set of refresh rates, so I can properly align the display in the window (The setting I chose works with UBUNTU on the same system).

Shutdown system, and ctl-alt-Fx  virtual consoles
Resolution is 400x200 on black screen instead of a suitable terminal resolution. No information about how to set the console display resolution to at least 120 characters lines per line.
This is the default chosen for the asus video card (ATI). My installation currently is "Out of the box--No Rawhide" and will be waiting for the released version later this week. (It is already pushed to the mirrors for tomorrows opening of floodgates)

Using Gnome, I am blocked from logging directly to root.
Most of the time, I find it faster to do things via gui interface then via commandline. Since I cannot log to the system with Root privledges, functionalty is lost.

Audio feedback when system is booted.
>From poweron to logon screen ready, Fedora used to provide a System ready sound configuration. Now, deadly silence. One has to watch the screen, instead of waiting to hear the ready signal. (Works correctly with UBUNTU).

Hope that these are teething problems only. Otherwise I don't know what I would do.

Leslie