F10 Problems with ATI HD3450

Leslie Satenstein lsatenstein at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 27 02:59:48 UTC 2008

These problems are due to hardware drivers.

My first problem is with the new ATI HD3450 card (a Jan 2008 model) for which testong any of the drivers listed in the system-->administrati0n-->display[hardware tab][VideoCard Configure]  with any of the selected from "ati,fglrx,radeon,radeonhd" did not function well. radeonhd was ok for gnome, but not for the virtual console, which came in at 320 by 200 resolution.

I found the latest ATI driver at the ATI website and downloaded and installed it. Prior to doing that download, backup your xorg.conf, if you have one.

Then, after completing the execution, if there is an xorg.conf in /etc/X11  rename it as your video may fail to initiate.

All that did for me was correct the virtual display, so it was no longer 320 by 200.

I am trying to get compiz working, as proof positive that the display is ok.

Do keep the boot dvd around in case you have to use the rescue option.