NFS installation issue (minor)

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Nov 27 16:21:02 UTC 2008

For years now, I've just stuck an iso file into an exported NFS
directory and installed with it.
I tried that today and got the dreaded Directory could not be mounted
from server message.

So, I went to the installation guide and saw several other options that
should be added.  (In the appendix--it might be worth giving a link to
that as the NFS guide just says prepare installation media, which is a
bit frustrating, when you're trying to get it done as the significant
other is speaking about how you have to leave early, etc., but that's
not relevant, save for comic relief.)

I then did a mount of the ISO with suggested options and still got the
same error.  (all the options listed in creating an installation
server).

So, I just copied all files from the mounted directory into another
directory, e.g. cp -r mount/* installfiles.  Now I have a directory
called install files which has all files from the DVD.  Using that as
the target worked.

I'm just wondering, as I haven't seen mention of this, is this one of
those Just Me(TM) issues?  Have other people, without much effort,
done an NFS install from an iso image, whether mounted or not?

Thanks, and again, this is minor as copying the files to another
directory also exported by NFS easily solves the issue.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: Okay, this is starting to grate my cheese.  These
woods aren't that big. Now, I know we've beein going straight because
I've been following the North Star.
Willow: Xander, that's not the North Star.  It's an airplane.
Xander: No, that's not an airplane.  That's definitely...a blimp. But I
can see how one would make that airplane mistake.