Yum and Yumex

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sun Nov 30 14:43:48 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 05:47:07AM -0800, Leslie Satenstein wrote:

>     On Sat, 29 Nov 2008, Leslie Satenstein wrote:
>
>     > Then I reviewed the installed files and uncheckmarked the entries I did
>     not want
>     > That was a mistake, as it took a whole set of dependencies with the 3 or 4
>     > odules.

That often happens when people aren't paying attention. I remember doing
yum remove -y wireless tools, coming back and finding kopete, along with
a bunch of other KDE based apps gone.  :)  (I was new to Fedora at that
time and hadn't realized how many seemingly unrelated things a yum
remove might take with it.)

As for yumex I just gave it a try as well.  It also asks for
confirmation.

So, unless something quite unusual happened, my guess is that you
weren't hit by a yum or yumex bug, you were just hit by some of the
dependency tie-ins, which can often be surprising.  :)

I do sympathize, having experienced the same thing, and often don't
understand why package A is tied to package B, but I don't think it was
a bug in this case, unless you can be absolutely sure that it didn't ask
for confirmation--a separate window opening, saying it's going to do
this, that, and the other, and asking for an OK or cancel.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Spike (watching, from a distance, a conversation between
Angel and a woman he just rescued):How can I thank you, you
mysterious black-clad-hunk-of-a-knight-thing?
No need little lady. Your tears of gratitude are enough for me. You
see, I was once a bad-ass vampire. But love, and a pesky curse,
defanged me. And now, I'm just a *big* fluffy puppy with bad teeth.
No! Not the hair! Never the hair.
But there must be some way I can show my appreciation.
No, helping those in need's my job. And working up a load of sexual
tension and prancing away like a magnificent poof is truly thanks
enough.
I understand. I have a nephew who's gay, so...
Say no more. Evil's still afoot. And I'm almost out of that Nancy-boy
hair gel I like so much. Quickly! To the Angel-mobile! Away!