F10 beta KDE LiveCD

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Wed Oct 1 12:09:05 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 October 2008 11:49:03 Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
>
>> Anne Wilson wrote:
>>
>>> I regret to report that this is an abysmal failure on my Acer Travelmate
>>> laptop.
>>>
>>> The display booted and looked fine.  Hovering over the widget for battery
>>> status/cpu frequency popped up a display.  A right-click on the panel
>>> brought nothing.  A click on the F menu brought nothing.  I moved back to
>>> the widget that had first worked, and at that point the mouse pointer
>>> froze. Ctrl-alt-backspace does nothing, so I suspect that the keyboard is
>>> not being read either.
>>>
>>> Hardware
>>> Pentium M730 cpu
>>> ATi Mobility Radeon X600
>>>
>>> didn't get as far as testing network.
>>>
>>> Anne
>>>
>> Try booting it with the kernel parameter nomodeset.
>>

> Yes, that seems to have cured it.  What exactly is that doing?

Turning of kernel mode setting ( KMS )

There have been some issue with some ATI cards with certain chip sets
Developers are taking a closer look what's causing this.

If you want to get up to speed on the status of the KMS take a look at
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=xorg_kms_2008&num=1

You can just go through basic testing procedure if you have the
Does every app work.
Are the any icons missing.
Does bluetooth work ( If you have a bluetooth )
Install to usb ( if you have one )
Install to HD ( if you can )
Go through the https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/10/FeatureList
To see if you can test feature listed there are working.
And so on.