F10 Beta test results

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 14:50:33 UTC 2008

Here are my observations on F10 Beta...
(Before reading my observations, I'll cut to the chase
and declare F10 (with KDE) still completely unusable... for me)

During initial installation I chose to 'test the media' since k3b
reported an 'unable to verify, because we couldn't find a track' error...

The DVD successfully tested OK, but then would not let me
continue the installation process... constantly asking me for
installation media.

I rebooted and bypassed the media test to continue the installation.

During installation, it asks you what package groups you want installed
and also if you want to install other packages or check other repositories
(I can't remember the actual option name)
But then it wants to go out to the net to do it.
It pops up a dialog asking you to select the interface to use.
(In my case it was the onboard Intel 3945 wireless.
It attempted to make a connection, but failed.  I tried twice before
I gave up and avoided the situation.

After installation and a 'yum update' I still get
(Note I used '--exclude=ant-manual' to update the other ~600 packages..)

[root at localhost fulko]# yum update
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Setting up Update Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package ant-manual.i386 0:1.7.1-7.1.fc10 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: perl(the) for package: ant-manual
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
ant-manual-1.7.1-7.1.fc10.i386 from rawhide has depsolving problems
  --> Missing Dependency: perl(the) is needed by package
ant-manual-1.7.1-7.1.fc10.i386 (rawhide)
Error: Missing Dependency: perl(the) is needed by package
ant-manual-1.7.1-7.1.fc10.i386 (rawhide)
[root at localhost fulko]#

My favourite complaint (mentioned in an email a few weeks ago...
You are prevented from logging in as root from the graphical login (gdm?)

Logging in with KDE selected fails.

a) it seems to never finish.
b) the task bar is either too small ~40 pixels high)l, or the tasklets do
not
   know how to accomodate a small task bar, and do not position themselves
   so that they are reachable/clickable.
c) The notification popups position themselves too low on the screen and
   are typically cut off on the bootom so they are unreadable.
d) Only on one try (out of 4) was the KDE menu icon actually clickable,
    but then after presentation, nothing else was clickable.
e) on another attempt starting KDE wedged with 'what looked like a usable
desktop'
   but the 'KDE' icon from the startup splash panel was the only thing
visisble
   on the desktop.  No other functionality seemed to work
f) on another attempt at starting KDE, the 'startup sound' was broken-up.
   ... and the desktop was still unusable.
g) during an attempt to diagnose issues I flipped to text screen F1, and
then back
   to KDE.  The graphical screen was redrawn as with a white background
  and the battery tasklet only.

In the end, I have never yet been able to successfully use KDE for _any_
functionality