Firefox in FC10, this is a weirdy

Jeff Weiss jweiss at redhat.com
Thu Oct 9 17:40:21 UTC 2008

Jim wrote:
> FC10, Firefox-3
> If i type in URL  lxer.com or linuxtoday.com Firefox says it can't find
> server at http://www.lxer.com or www.linuxtoday.com .
>
> I can go to yahoo.com, redhat.com, foxnews.com without any problems.
>
> On my FC8, Firefox-2.0 Laptop on same network , if I type in lxer.com or
> linuxtoday.com Firefox-2.0 doesn't inject a www. in front of URL, and I
> can go to both URL's without any problems.
>
> Firefox-3 on FC10 always puts a www. in front of URL.
>
> And what makes this more weird is that I have installed on a FC8  x86_64
> box , Remi/FC8 Firefox/3.0 and it doesn't inject
> http://www.lxer.com , it always comes up as http://lxer.com  and goes to
> website with no problems.
> So it seems for lxer.com and linuxtoday.com if the www. is injected it
> can't find those two websites.
> Even if I type in on the X86_64 box http://www.lxer.com, it eliminates
> the www. and gives a http://lxer.com and goes to the website
>
> I'm perplexed.

I'm not an expert on FF but I believe what you're seeing (the appending
of www) is because FF is unable to resolve that hostname in DNS, so it
tries appending www.  That fails too and so it shows that error message.
 For instance, try surfing to a host that you're sure is not in DNS,
like gsehgsudfnisfwvvnsd.com.  It'll append www.

And when you see www get *removed* it has nothing to do with Firefox,
it's probably because the web host redirects you to the non-www host.

I would suggest trying some dns (dig) commands on the command line with
your F10 setup and see what happens.  I think you'll find something is
wrong with your dns setup, or perhaps your dns server.