F10 beta: No xorg.conf, where to tweak Synaptics pad?

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Thu Oct 9 22:23:40 UTC 2008

On 2008-10-09, 21:08 GMT, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> In other words you are saying: "If something does not work then
> this is your fault and screw you"?  That is nice to know.

No, he isn't (or at least I am not) -- the world where we are
coming from is not that bright either. The only difference
between now and (near) future is that now still people google for
the small lines of text to put into /etc/X11/xorg.conf to make
work their particular piece of turd. In the future hopefully all
these tidbits of information could be collected, packaged, and
served with the Xorg so that people wouldn't have to apply it
themselves (or even know, that some hints are used).

See for example for what goes to /usr/share/hal* on
http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/ -- I would love
to see some database of quirks which would make Xorg work without
anybody even noticing.

> You are mixing two things.  Autoconfiguration and an ability to
> easily override that autoconfiguration when it does not work or when
> you have good reasons not to like results.  Take as an example the
> current anaconda with a network install.  Unfortunately you are not
> the only one so confused.

I don't want to comment on the NetworkManager -- works pretty
decently for me (certainly much better than whatever else I used
in the past) -- but I want to emphasize a small fact that
/etc/hal/fdi/ is and /etc subdirectory, so you (or anybody else)
can have their specific configuration there.

Also if you have such problems to write a line of code to XML
file, then probably you shouldn't try.

Best,

Matěj