F10 beta: No xorg.conf, where to tweak Synaptics pad?

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Oct 9 23:08:05 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 03:13:45PM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:

> I think you are confused too.  You can still create an xorg.conf file
> and populate it to your heart's content.

This I happen to know.  Please tell that to somebody who installs
F10 for the first time and runs into troubles with a display
or a Synaptics configuration.

There were indeed times when I was writing XF86Config files
mostly "by hand" or with a help of tools which were helping
only a tiny bit.  I believe that this was a major turn off
for a lot of people.  It appears that if I have troubles with
what was autoconfigured then I am back to that time again.

I am also worried what will happen in the future although that
this particular file will stop beeing recognized does not seem
to be likely (with X not really tied up to Gnome).  That this
general trend is what gets me worried.

    Michal