F10 beta: No xorg.conf, where to tweak Synaptics pad?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Oct 9 23:52:47 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 17:46 -0600, Michal Jaegermann wrote:

> Again!  The problem is that this imaginary "perfect configuration
> system" where everything is autoconfigured tends to blissfully
> ignore all that crappy hardware, or special requirements, which are
> out there.  Even if they are minority they are real.  And this is
> not a question of X.  For example, NetworkManager works really well
> in some situations and badly messes out in others.  This was like
> that from the very beginning, for quite a while now,  and various
> bug reports were filed.  And???

And it's being improved, more and more with every release.  And when it
doesn't work, the network service is there to fill that gap.  But
without having NM there for everybody as a default, we wouldn't get the
exposure we need to find the corner cases to fix.  We are Fedora, we
release early, we release often, and we improve along the way.

It's funny that you pick NetworkManager, because the last 15 or so
people that have used Fedora from another OS for the first time, NM is
one of the things they constantly tell me about as being fantastic, and
the first thing they notice that is better than the alternatives.  NM
drives users to us, and keeps them here.  If we didn't have it, we'd
lose on these users.  NM is vastly better than what we had before.  Is
it perfect?  No.  Is it improving, yes.  Is it worth the speedbumps
along the way?  Absolutely.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!