F10 beta: No xorg.conf, where to tweak Synaptics pad?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Oct 10 04:29:29 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 11:36:33 -0700,
  Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 12:33 -0600, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> > There is a small fly in this ointment.  The above may work, usually,
> > but very far from always.  For example, if monitor EDID data are
> > faulty or not present at all, and this is _not_ a hypothetical
> > situation, then a configuration you are getting is busted.  Also
> > something which is possible, and even "correct" in some sense, does
> > not need to be optimal/desired in a given situation.
>
> Perfect is the enemy of good.
>
> Ajax has in the past asked for /anybody/ to provide him situations where
> the EDID is bogus.

I have had a ticket open since last February where the driver ignores
a monitor because it doesn't do EDID and ends up not sending any signal to
the DVI port (I suspect it is getting sent to the VGA port). I have to
patch xorg-x11-drv-ati everytime a new version becomes available. This
actually works pretty well, but is still annoying.