F10 beta: No xorg.conf, where to tweak Synaptics pad?

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Fri Oct 10 12:58:03 UTC 2008

On 2008-10-09, 23:13 GMT, Scott Robbins wrote:
> I don't think that's practical with Fedora because of its very
> nature as, more or less, a test bed.  However, things that are
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^
I would prefer to characterize Fedora as a developer's
distribution of choice, but whatever.

> relatively drastic changes, such as a removal of xorg.conf,
> could probably be better announced.

Note, that xorg.conf was never deprecated (meaning, that you can
still use it and it is read by Xorg on start) and it was not
mandatory since Fedora Core 6 (at least since then it was
considered a bug, when you didn't get functional X when xorg.conf
was removed).  I don't think we are that hasty.

> What would be great, I think, though I have no idea if it is at
> all feasible, would be with things like this, to have a line of
> text appear perhaps, saying, there is no longer a default
> xorg--if this doesn't work for you, please file a bug with your
> hardware information.

That's called Release Notes and if we ever remove xorg.conf from
Fedora, be sure you will be able to read about it there (and in
many other places). But I don't think that such drastic change
will happen anytime soon.

> Also please note that you can construct an xorg with xorconfig
> (if that's still available, I haven't checked--I have been
> fortunate enough so that I didn't even realize it had been
> removed.)

Yes, and there is still system-config-display.

> I think that a lot of the anger users sometimes feel is because these
> things take them by surprise.  Yes, there are lists of changes--they
> aren't always complete, and I suspect many of us just skim through them
> anyway.  However, major changes could perhaps, merit a headsup.

BTW, there is no class of "you developers" distinct from "us
users" in the Fedoraland. If you want to help with Release Notes,
there is a huge need of help with writing them, especially from
people who are not developers. Take a look at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Join, pick some Beat,
and then just hang around particular group of developers (their
email list, etc.) and write about that.

Best,

Matej Cepl