F10 beta: No xorg.conf, where to tweak Synaptics pad?

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Fri Oct 10 13:58:53 UTC 2008

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote, On 10/10/2008 09:41 AM:
> Matej Cepl wrote:
>>> What would be great, I think, though I have no idea if it is at all
>>> feasible, would be with things like this, to have a line of text
>>> appear perhaps, saying, there is no longer a default xorg--if this
>>> doesn't work for you, please file a bug with your hardware information.
>>>

>> That's called Release Notes and if we ever remove xorg.conf from
>> Fedora, be sure you will be able to read about it there (and in many
>> other places). But I don't think that such drastic change will happen
>> anytime soon.
>>

> Nobody reads the release notes
> It is time that a certain people or group of people start to realize  that.
>
> A good pointer to that is that nobody complained
> when team anaconda removed the release notes in anaconda.
>
> We have to find a better way to get the info ( or least the major ones )
> to our users.
>
> Floor is open for suggestions..
>
> Keep ideas aimed at people that have no network connection
> as in this was a hand out cd/dvd usb key.

And even in Anaconda, IIRC, you did not see it until you were pretty much into
the install phase.

being able to say have a 'just release notes' and\or 'just MAJOR changes from
last F' options from the grub/syslinux menus on the CD could be interesting.
Those could be chosen with out the fear of pushing a wrong button and wiping
out your working system before you really are ready.

>>> Also please note that you can construct an xorg with xorconfig (if
>>> that's still available, I haven't checked--I have been fortunate
>>> enough so that I didn't even realize it had been removed.)
>>
>> Yes, and there is still system-config-display.
>>

> Note in F10 system-config-display will not get installed by default
> so you will need to install it before using it.

Maybe I did not understand some of the things in the xorg.log I was seeing in
the recent (12 months) past, but it would be nice to have two options with the
current Xorg config system:
1) kick out a xorg.conf file based on the detected working settings, i.e, what
X is going to use without a conf file there.
2) kick out a xorg.conf file based on ALL the detected capabilities, i.e, if
the video card can use a particular modeline but the monitor does not CLAIM
to support it, then still put the modeline in the conf file, and the other way
around, if monitor supports a resolution/scanrate/whatever that the card does
not, then still put it in the conf file, so that if the user THINKS they know
better, then they can select something that is supported instead of trying to
dis-cypher the data from the xorg.log file.  Of course this conf file should
be marked top bottom and middle with things indicating 'please put a bug in an
appropriate zilla, and be careful with what you do here because something
indicated that the components of your system did not have full matches on
everything.'

So if those were put into an fedora X bug do you think they would get anything
but a NOTABUGWONTFIX ?

--
Todd Denniston