F10 beta: No xorg.conf, where to tweak Synaptics pad?

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Fri Oct 10 14:35:22 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 02:58:03PM +0200, Matej Cepl wrote:

> Note, that xorg.conf was never deprecated (meaning, that you can
> still use it and it is read by Xorg on start)

X is an "outside" project and preventing that would likely
require essential code changes so I do not really expect that
this will happen.  It may turn out that writing a new xorg.conf
will be a "hacker's delight" again but that is another story.

Only I think that with a focus solely on xorg.conf you are
loosing a bigger picture.

Here is another example from the last few days (or small weeks).
In '/usr/bin/gnome-wm' you now will find the following comment:

#
# NOTE: DON'T USE THIS.  Please have your window manager install
# a desktop file and change the gconf key
# /desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager

Guess what?  It really does not work.  This was
'/apps/gnome-session/rh/window_manager' working key yet very
recently and just resetting that another gconf key simply does not
have any effect.  True, the comment says something about "a desktop
file" too so I tried to provide something similar to
metacity-wm.desktop.  The best result I got so far was no window
manager at all.  Maybe what is truly expected is documented
somewhere, and who knows where, and maybe not.  Do you feel lucky?
Do not tell me that anybody hardly noticed.  This is not the point.

Or maybe you can try to find a reasonable way to disable
suspend/hibernate on some machine in such way that this cannot be
turned on even by an accident and it survive updates?  If not then
something in fdi policies which worked yesterday but today is not
valid anymore and you cannot even start guessing why.  Some gdm
adjustments for a change?  Try to fill a bugzilla report and it will
be ignored or closed with NOTABUG.

It is not a particular individual instance of something but such
lists can go on and on and on and after a while you really feel
forced into a maze of hacking "obscure configurations" like said in
a message which opened this thread.

  Michal