F10 beta: No xorg.conf, where to tweak Synaptics pad?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 10 23:31:43 UTC 2008

Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 03:31:58AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Scott Robbins wrote:
>>> So, that's my suggestion.  Include an UPDATING that gets updated when
>>> various changes that might surprise people are made.  What might
>>> surprise people is of course, subjective, but....
>> Why do you think that a complete new file like this would be read by
>> more people than the better known release notes which already has a
>> section specific to upgrades?
>
> I guess it's a habit from FreeBSD.  Everyone knew that it should be read
> before updating.

Yes, but very few people have such prior knowledge and the audience for
Fedora is different. A lot of people know they "should" read release
notes but don't anyway or miss out changes or the impact of those changes.

> Also, I think that if it were publicized, for example, if something is
> mentioned there, and then someone posts, for example, on Fedora forums
> about it, someone else will post back, Didn't you read UPDATING?

That's pretty much what we do with the release notes. A big reason why I
contribute to the release notes is because I was tired of explaining the
same changes to everybody trying a new release.

Also release notes is written in the wiki, converted into docbook and
following the documentation team process including translations into
dozens of languages. A separate text file just splinters the process.

At any rate, if you believe this is useful and willing to make it
happen, feel free to post to fedora-docs list. Despite my doubts on this
suggestion, if it turns to be more effective, that would be a good thing.

Rahul